Have you heard of the Maker Movement? It is a movement of amateurs, hobbyists, entrepreneurs, DIYers, students, and professionals united by nothing but the common desire to tinker, design, hack, innovate and invent. The Maker Movement is so hot right now that even President Obama got in on the action and hosts an annual Maker Faire at the White House every spring.
About The SoCal Maker Convention
However, Southern California has not been left behind the times! The 2nd annual SoCal Maker Con is coming to the Los Angeles Fairplex in Pomona on November 5 from 9 am – 5 pm.
SoCal Maker Con, dubbed the ComiCon of the Maker world, will fill the Los Angeles Fairplex with inventive, innovative technologies! Guests can visit Startup Alley to discover SoCal’s most promising emerging technologies, attend exciting virtual reality demos, try to guess which of the convention’s impressive featured speakers is actually a replicant, and learn how the rapidly emerging maker movement can empower the pursuit of creative aspirations.
STEAM Kid Zone
They also have a specific STEAM Kid Zone which includes the chance to:
- Make a boba balancer from Inner-City Arts, while learning about center of gravity.
- Learn and interact with dinosaurs from Dino Encounters.
- Learn how to program a computer with SCRATCH. The LA Makerspace Coding Crew is offering three 1 hour coding workshops for kids 5 to 16 years old. Space is limited. Click here to register.
- Learn how animated movies are made by bringing your own creations to life with Dani Lopez.
- All hands on activities are make and take projects.
Free Student Tickets to SoCal Maker Convention
Now if you are a school group, check this out! The SoCal Maker Convention is dedicated to providing an enriching and inspiring environment where young inventors can discover their passion for science and technology. Therefore, they developed a program called the Young Inventors Program which provides FREE tickets to children of participating elementary schools and clubs!
Here’s how it works:
- An administrator or teacher must reach out to register your school or club in the program.
- Once added to the program, the organization will be awarded 20 – 100 free tickets for ages 11 and under on a first-come first-serve basis as the program is funded (normally children are $10.00)
- The free tickets are only for those 11 and under, adults will need to purchase tickets at the regular price.
Don’t delay in getting your school or club registered for the program! To apply, simply download this form and email it to email@example.com for processing.
For college educators and schools or clubs that don’t qualify for the Young Inventors program, please contact SoCal Maker Con for group rates of up to 50% off the regular ticket cost. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiry.
SoCal Maker Con General Admission Prices
General admission to attend SoCal Maker Con is Adults – $20.00 / Students – $15.00 / Children (ages 3-11) – $10.00.
SoCal Maker Con will take place on November 5 at the Los Angeles Fairplex located located at 1101 W. McKinley Avenue Pomona, CA 91768. Parking is $10 per vehicle.
Happy Field Tripping!