Besides a parade or two, you won’t see a lot of people riding horses up and down Hollywood Boulevard. But if you look up toward the Hollywood Sign, you may see people horseback riding across the Hollywood Hills.
With nearly 100,000 horses in the city proper and even more in surrounding ranch areas and in unincorporated areas along the LA River, Los Angeles is a thriving equestrian center.
For visitors, there are numerous horse ranches in and around Los Angeles that provide guided trail rides and horse rentals. They also offer English and Western horseback riding lessons, horse sales, horse boarding stables information, and many other opportunities to be exposed to equestrian lifestyle.
So, call up one of these horseback riding companies in Los Angeles and set up a time to take a ride and enjoy the beautiful scenery surrounding our buzzing city.
Best Places For Horseback Riding in Los Angeles
Los Angeles Horseback Riding, Santa Monica
Los Angeles Horseback Riding offers private rides in Topanga, Santa Monica and Malibu. The trails are a part of the Santa Monica Mountains Backbone Trail. They have horses for all levels of experience.
They offer rides in small groups of six to eight people max so that your experience will be more enjoyable. They can also accommodate parties of up to 12 riders.
Their operating hours are roughly from 8 o’clock in the morning until dusk. They ride seven days a week and are open on most Holidays. Children must be at least 9-years or older to ride on the trails.
Sunset Ranch Hollywood Stables, Hollywood
With it’s central location and one of a kind views of Los Angeles, Sunset Ranch offers an uncomparable location right in the heart of Hollywood, just steps away from the famous sign. They offer tours for adults and children ages 8 years old or older.
Sunset Ranch Hollywood Stables offers three types of tours:
- A breathtaking two hour evening tour with unbeatable views of all of Los Angeles.
- Ride up in the Hollywood Hills on a one hour tour where you will get unforgettable views of the LA Basin and the Hollywood Sign.
- A two hour tour where you will ride to the top of Mount Hollywood for 360° view of Los Angeles, including the Hollywood Sign, the ocean the valleys.
Malibu Riders, Malibu
Malibu Riders offers horseback riding tours in Los Angeles and Malibu. They are open all days of the week by reservation only.
They offer 3 different tours:
- Malibu – Zuma Canyon (90-Minute) – Located in one of the most beautiful areas of Los Angeles, this ride takes you into the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains, revealing breathtaking ocean views. On a clear day you can be spot multiple coastal Southern California islands. The trail goes through a beautiful forest-like canopy. In spring and summer, native wild flowers are abundant. A very relaxing and therapeutic ride!
- Malibu – Zuma Canyon (45-Minute) – Similar to the 90 minute tour, but only 45 minutes in length.
- Agoura Hills – Paramount Ranch (60-Minute) – Located in one of the most beautiful areas of Los Angeles, this ride is a 1 hour, 3 mile loop located just behind Malibu. The scenery is amazing. It has beautiful forests and an abundance of wild life. Deer, coyote, and bobcat sightings are common. There are streams that flow all year and the horses love to drink and splash in them.
Will Rogers Trail Rides, Pacific Palisades
Will Rogers Trail Rides provide guided trail rides on safe, reliable horses on the beautiful trails of Will Rogers State Historic Park, Pacific Palisades.
Their wranglers are experienced and safety oriented, so you can relax and enjoy the trails of one of the most beloved parks in Los Angeles. Will Rogers guided trail rides are available Tuesdays through Sundays, and Holiday Mondays. Minimum age is 8 years old. No riding experience is necessary. State Park parking fee applies.
Ocean Park Ranch, Los Angeles, Woodland Hills and Simi Valley
Ocean Park Ranch offers private guided trail rides at three locations in Los Angeles (Porter Ranch), Woodland Hills and Simi Valley. They offer private trail rides emphasizing the health and beauty of horses.
All their tours are private, so they can easily adjust to the experience of the riders. They only have a few horses, so they don’t do groups. Must be 18 years old.
Happy Field Tripping,